Saturday, July 3, 2010

Knit Me a Picture

Picture Perfect Knits by Laura Birek
Chronicle Books, pub. 2008
ISBN: 9780811860680

I remember the first time I tried intarsia...it was frustrating, confusing, and ended up in disaster! Needless to say, I wasn't following one of the patterns from this absolutely lovely book. Luckily, I was determined to figure out how to knit intricate pictures and tried again and again. I started with small patterns with little complexity and worked my way to where I am now; which is by no means advanced, but I'd say intermediate. I picked up this book a year and a half ago and with its help I've improved my intarsia knitting immensely.

One of the highlights of this book is the first section where intarsia is explained and techniques are laid out with helpful graphics and tips. This section also includes advice on choosing yarn and how to make your own patterns. Very helpful!

The patterns themselves are beautiful! The photos (by Sheri Giblin) are wonderful and display the projects well. There are also over 50 pages of stand alone patterns and a blank grid for you to photocopy and make your own patterns. Every time I open the book I see a new pattern I want to try!

Overall, a well thought out book with great contributors and projects. There is something for everyone!

Skill Level: Intermediate
Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment