Monday, July 26, 2010

Printmaking 101

Simple Printmaking by Sarah Roberts
Morse-Brown Publishing, pub. 2010
ISBN: 9781907615009 

This second "how-to" book from How2Crafts in a fantastic series of books is a craft I've always admired. I absolutely love hand printed cards, stationery, and other paper products. I often purchase it for those "just in case" scenarios when only a hand printed card or note will do. I haven't yet been adventurous enough to try it myself because it seemed a bit daunting. However, after reading this step-by-step guide I'm feeling more confident.

This book is a wonderful resource for a beginner print maker because it introduces you to three different processes. Lino printing, potato printing, and stencil printing are all covered with great step-by-step instructions and photographs. The equipment needed is clearly laid out and everything from prep to clean up is covered!

I think the thing I like most about this book is the simple prints they use to demonstrate the processes and how professional it all looks in the end. You'll definitely be inspired to create your own designs after picking up this little piece of art. 

Overall, a valuable addition to any craft or hobby enthusiast's book shelf. An added bonus for those tech-savvy crafters - it is available to purchase as an ebook.

Don't forget to upload a photo of your creation to the How2Crafts website for a chance to get yourself in print when the next edition of the book is made! In addition, they are currently asking people to vote on the topic of their next book and I highly suggest you visit their site and add your two cents!

Skill Level: Beginner
Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment